December 03, 2014

#100: Real Swing (Bad Things Routine)

Bad Things/Last Dance Classic WCS Routine
Josh Clark & Katherine Krok Eastvold
'Cause when I'm bad, I'm so, so bad. -Donna Summer
___

Today I'm releasing the most requested video in the history of my writing: my fourth routine with my partner, Josh Clark!

We only performed it twice, once at Grand Nationals and once at the CA Swing Dance Hall of Fame Gala, where it was received with such honor and praise that we stayed up until well into the next morning celebrating and enjoying one another. It was such a wonderful way to wrap up a phenomenal partnership.

Today I only have the Grand Nationals performance, even though the Hall of Fame Gala was 700% better, for many reasons. But we are all our own worst critics, aren't we? And in the end, Charlie & Jackie gave us a standing ovation... what in the world else could we have ever asked for???

So I hope you enjoy....

OH WAIT! That's right! 
There is HUGE controversy around this routine!!! ...

That's right - it was in the famous Weekly Note #30: Independence Day (available in Book #2: Setting Dancers Free), when I told you about my conversation with Gary Jobst regarding the swing content in my routine. That's right - this is the routine where Josh and I did straight up swing and Gary said we were doing Hustle.

Well, my friends. Now you can see for yourselves. Push Breaks and Over-rotating whips, as well as patterns straight out of WCS routines back in the 80's... were labeled as Hustle. All because, well, we were dancing to a Hustle song. 

Only at the end though, with Donna Summer's Last Dance- which I chose in memory of the late Kenny Wetzel, along with other fitting reasons... but we put in even more WCS and WCS basics because of it. Just so people wouldn't be confused. And they weren't - except for the ones with judging clipboards in their hands. Those with "trained" eyes and "certifications" failed in the most epic of fashions.

Please.

So have fun you guys. Enjoy the end of summer, and enjoy this last routine in which we tried to give you guys some good home-cooked West Coast Swing... right from our hearts, to yours.

Click Here to Watch Our Newest Routine!